We are excited that you are considering a year of community, social justice, and simple and sustainable living with Lutheran Volunteer Corps!
LVC is not currently accepting applications at this time. Our application for the 2015-16 program year will be available by October 1, 2014.
LVC Interviewing and Placing Timeline
LVC accepts applications beginning in October for the following year of service, with the first round deadline being January 15, 2014 and round two April 1, 2014. While there are quality placements in every round, those who apply early will have a greater selection. Please contact the Admissions Director before submitting an application if you miss the deadlines.
- Complete application online by one of the due dates
- LVC staff will review applications and schedule select phone interviews
- If accepted, you will review a list of available LVC placements
- Choose ten placements to interview with; LVC will assign you three out of the ten you chose.
- After the interview, rank the placements according to where your interests/skills best fit (Placements will also be ranking you)
- Using the rankings, LVC staff members match applicants with placements
- Regardless of application date, all volunteers will have orientation at the same time and begin work at the same time in August.
The timeline for the 2014-15 application process was as follows:
Round One - January 15, 2014
- January 15: Applications due online
- January 16-January 26: Application review period
- January 27-February 16: Selected applicants interview with LVC representative
- February 20: Acceptance notification and list of available placements available online
- By February 24: Applicants choose ten placements for potential interviews and submit choices online
- March 3-14: Applicants interview with placements over the phone
- By March 14: Submit rankings online
- March 19: First Round Matching Day! LVC staff match applicants & placements (Based on applicant’s & placement’s ratings)
- March 21: Final day for applicant to accept or decline match
- April 1: Applications due online
- April 1-10: Application review period & Selected Applicants interview with LVC representative
- April 11: Acceptance notification and list of available placements available online
- By April 15 (2pm EDT): Applicants choose ten placements for potential interviews and submit choices online
- April 21-May2: Applicants interview with placements over the phone.
- By May 5: Submit rankings online
- May 8: Second Round Matching Day! LVC staff match applicants & placements (Based on applicant’s & placement’s ratings)
- May 9: LVC staff contact Matched Applicants
- May 12: Final day for applicant to accept or decline match
LVC welcomes applications from international students who are currently studying in the US. Due to visa extension requirements issued by US State Department and Immigration Services, please contact Elizabeth Flomo, Program Operations Manager, at 202-387-3222 x221 to discuss your application. All international applicants are required to take the necessary steps to secure their visa extension. You may find more information at http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html#15.
LVC also has partnerships with service organizations in Germany and the United Kingdom. If you are a German or British citizen, please contact Elizabeth Flomo at email@example.com to learn more about how to apply to LVC through our partner organizations in these countries.
At this time we are not able to accept applications from foreign nationals who are not currently in the United States on a visa or from applicants other than our partner organizations in Germany and the United Kingdom.