Lutheran Volunteer Corps (LVC) is on a Journey to an Inclusive Community (JIC). JIC is an ongoing process of forming and strengthening alliances among people of many cultures and communities, and intentionally dismantling racism within LVC, the church, and society.
LVC realizes that institutional racism profoundly impacts the social landscapes in which we live and work, and we are dedicated to becoming an inclusive community as an organization. We seek to dismantle institutional discrimination in all its forms, including racism, sexism, and heterosexism. LVC engages in this journey throughout the whole of our organization – Volunteers, staff, board, placement organizations and alumni.
JIC Mission Statement
As we engage in our Journey to an Inclusive Community, we recognize the following facts:
- Institutional racism and other oppressions including heterosexism, classism, ableism and sexism profoundly impact the social landscape in which we live and work.
- We have the tendency to discuss other forms of oppression including heterosexism, classism, ableism and sexism before racism and evade difficult conversations about race.
- Our explanations and analyses of other forms of oppression including heterosexism, classism, ableism and sexism are impoverished when we do not fully understand intersections with racism.
- White dominance within LVC undermines our efforts among multiple constituencies to be an organization committed to social justice.
- We cannot do a sufficient job of anti-racism work on our own.
- The education and support we offer volunteers are egregiously lacking when we fail to account for racial dynamics within LVC, at our placement organizations and within volunteer communities as well as the process of racial identity formation for individuals.
Therefore, we commit to undergoing organization-wide reflection and change in partnership with other organizations doing anti-oppression work.
For more information on the history of JIC within LVC, read our JIC Guide.
For a list of JIC resources, visit our JIC Reading List.