Seeking nominations for the Board of Directors and Board Committees
For early consideration: Apply by April 15 for August start
After April 15: No problem, notify search committee of your interest
Lutheran Volunteer Corps (LVC) is a community of faith uniting people to work for peace with justice. We place Volunteers in full-time service positions in person and virtually at social justice organizations for one or two years in five U.S. cities (Baltimore, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Omaha, Washington, D.C., and Wilmington, DE). Volunteers live in community with other Volunteers; gather together monthly for national program days; and commit to direct or indirect service positions in areas like community development and organizing, education and youth engagement, food justice, gender/LGBTQ equality, health care, housing, immigration and refugee services, environment, and legal assistance. Volunteers grow together as community members and social justice leaders.
LVC seeks nominations for the Board of Directors, and Board committees, for the fiscal year starting in August. Board and committee candidates sharing our commitment to diverse leadership that reflects the communities we serve are encouraged to apply, including female, transgender, Black, Latinx; candidates living in LVC cities; and those experienced with restorative justice, legal matters (Bar certified in D.C.), finance, and fundraising.
- Serving on Our Board of Directors: The Board of Directors provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance for the organization, in partnership with the President. Board Members serve a three-year term and are eligible for renewal for two total terms. Board Members participate in aspects of the annual Orientation for new Volunteers each August (currently virtually). Board Members must be available to participate in 4-6 full Board meetings via Zoom annually as well as committee meetings and complete related tasks. Serving on the LVC Board is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
- Serving on Board Committees: LVC wishes to connect with people who have an interest in lending their time and talents to one of the Committees of the Board (without joining the Board as a voting member). This is a great way to start your involvement in the organization and gain valuable experience furthering the mission; work with Board members; immerse in the organizational culture; and gauge whether you want to apply to join the Board in the future.
- Review — Review the LVC web site to get to know LVC, even if you’ve had a relationship with the organization before. Read the attached nominations form (“Application Form”) below to help you assess your interest.
- Declare your interest — Schedule a call with our president to explore your interest, the contributions you expect to make, what you hope to gain from engagement, and questions you might have. Email Deirdre Bagley, president, at email@example.com.
- Apply — Once you confirm your interest, apply by the deadline date to be considered at an upcoming Board meeting. Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. (You must declare your interest in the step above first!)