PRINT THE POSTER and SHARE
Please sign up by visiting www.99pledges.com/fund/lutheranvolunteercorps4216/addme.
- Create a pledge page. Create your own page and personalize your e-mail message to invite your family and friends. Donate and invite others to donate on your page.
- Invite your team. Invite friends, families, former LVC housemates, faith communities, etc. to join you. Personalize an e-mail invitation on your pledge page.
- Select your group. A “group” is your LVC city, and each group can have an unlimited number of hikers engaged in individual and team hikes.
- Go the distance. It doesn’t matter how many miles you hike. Choose your distance and go.
- Location. Choose your hike path.
- Can’t hike? No worries. You can still create a participant page to support LVC, choose your group (city), and personalize an e-mail message to invite family and friends to donate on your page.
LEAD A HIKE
We’ll have at least one hike in our program cities (DC, Baltimore, Wilmington, Minneapolis, Omaha). You can still lead your own hike in these cities, or any city where you live. If you’re not in an LVC city, we can send out notice to folks in your area to see if there’s interest in joining you.
HELP PLAN THE HIKE
Local Support Networks (LSN) Zooms in our program cities have started planning to advance the hike. Reach out directly to LVC staff program managers if you want to assist.
- Omaha, NE: Scott Glaser
- Washington DC, Baltimore MD, Wilmington DE: contact Meghan Brown Saavedra
- Twin Cities MN: Rachel Kennedy
JOIN A HIKE!
(*Program cities. This section will be updated as we start identifying leads and locations)
California, Los Angeles
- Sunday, May 22, 11:00am. Meet at the Bear Statue at Griffith Park at the corner of Los Feliz Blvd and Fern Dell Drive. Branden Grimmett will be your hike guide.
- Sunday, May 22, 2:00pm, raffle drawing at 3:00pm. Join LVC’s Wilmington local support network for their annual fundraiser for LVC’s leadership program dedicated to work for social justice in communities across the nation. Meet at the Dupont Environmental Education Center on the Riverfront, and continue to the post-hike social to follow at Constitution Yards. Check out the hike FLYER, visit Wilmington’s HIKE PAGE, and contact Susan Mack with questions and to RSVP.
District of Columbia/DC*
- Saturday, May 21, 11:30am. The DC hike will be at beautiful Rock Creek Park, with the hiking group meeting at Peirce Mill at 2401 Tilden Street NW, Washington DC, Parking Lot 1. We’ll follow the hike with a picnic at 1:00pm, where refreshments will be provided and you can also bring food to share. Organized by Meghan Brown Saavedra, LVC program manager for the East.
- Saturday, May 21, 1:00pm. Join Chicagoland LVC friends and supporters to gather, enjoy trees and good company, and raise some money for LVC! Kiddos and pets welcome! Support our hike through Juliana Glassco’s page (https://app.99pledges.com/…/lutheranvol…/juliana-glassco) or start your own page to gather pledges! (www.99pledges.com/fund/lutheranvolunteercorps4216/addme). After rounding up alumni on Facebook and in the community, we hope for a great gathering for our hike at Bunker Hill. Organized by LVC alum Juliana Glassco.
- Sunday, May 22, 4:00pm. This hike will be at Druid Hill Park, with hikers meeting at this parking lot and then going from there. Organized by the Baltimore Local Support Network, contact Kirsten Mathisen.
- Sunday, May 22 from 10:00am to 4:00pm. This hike through The Walking City of Boston will stroll through many sights worth seeing, starting at South End and passing through Trinity Church, Beacon Hill, Long Wharf. New Englanders can contact LVC alum organizer Barry Friswold and visit his hike page HERE.
Minnesota, Twin Cities*
- #1–Saturday, May 21, 11:00am. A 1.75 mile loop, family hike is planned suitable for children at Wabun Park in Minneapolis. There’s a great little walk that’s starts at the bridge just down from Minnehaha Falls (not AT the falls) and then do a short loop down to the Mississippi River and back, and end at the playground at Wabun Park for just adult hangout and kid play time as people have interest and time. There’s free parking at the Wabun playground. Organized by LVC alum and board member, Katie Schroeder.
- #2–Saturday, May 21, 10:30am. At Lake Como in St. Paul, meet in front of the Lakeside Pavilion (1360 Lexington Pkwy N Saint Paul, MN 55103). This will be an informal gathering of LVC Supporters interested in walking together – or to go at their own pace. It is not an event sponsored by the lake/city; nor will there be any formal programing. We will meet then walk together with whoever would like. People are also welcome to go at their own pace, or break off from group’s path around the lake. Organized by Rachel Kennedy, LVC program manager for Twin Cities.
- Saturday, May 21, 9:00am. Meet at Fort Street parking lot at Standing Bear Lake Park. Contact LVC staff program director Scott Glaser.
- #1–Saturday, May 21, 9:00am. Meet at Mason District Park in Annandale, VA, for a hike hosted by Peace Lutheran Church in Alexandria, VA. Meet LVC Volunteers and hear first hand about the LVC service year, while enjoying the great outdoors. Organized by Chris Solem.
- #2– Saturday, May 21, 9:00am. Saint Andrew Lutheran Church in Centreville, VA regularly hikes every third Saturday of the month, and is happy to host anyone who wants to join in for their LVC Hike-a-thon hike. Meet at Edward’s Landing Park 901 Powhatan Ct NE, Leesburg, VA 20176 for a hiking a loop of approximately 3 miles through Ball’s Bluff Battlefield Regional Park and back. Organized by Karen Montgomery.