Volunteer Exits in July 2020
For Volunteers serving August 2019 – July 2020, we’re all anticipating that the end-of-year will be different from all others. Here’s a guide for moving yourself out of your LVC house in July 2020.
By June 22, 2020, you should be prepared to tell your LVC program manager about your plans for exiting your LVC house.
Currently living in an LVC house:
You will pack up your belongings normally and take them with you when you leave, clean your house and leave it as you found it, and move out by Sunday, July 26, 2020. You do not have to inform your program manager about your move-out date since it’s already established.
Currently teleworking from your hometown:
- You took your belongings with you when you left your LVC house to go back to your hometown, so you have nothing to retrieve from the LVC house.
- You left some belongings at the LVC house when you went back to your hometown due to COVID-19, and will return to pick up your belongings by Sunday, July 12, 2020.
- You left some belongings at the LVC house when you went back to your hometown due to COVID-19, and will make plans to ship your belongings back to your hometown.
- You left belongings at the LVC house that you will not be picking up. (These will be disposed of or recycled.)
If you left belongings at the LVC house and will return to pick them up:
- You will be most assured of the accuracy and safety of your belongings by picking up and transporting them yourself.
- Let us know by June 22 the date you plan to return to the house to pick up your belongings (must be picked up by July 12), and if you need to stay overnight.
- Leave your house key in your room in a sealed envelope with your name on it.
- Clean your room for the next person to move in.
If you left belongings at the LVC house and will ship your belongings back to your hometown:
- Work with your housemate(s) on packing up and mailing your belongings for you by July 12.
- OR, by June 22 — Ask your LVC program manager to pack and ship for you and deduct the cost from your July stipends. You will not get your July stipend until the end of July, and if packing and shipping exceeds your stipend amount, you will send a check to LVC for the balance due for packing and shipping. By June 22, send LVC an exact list of all your belongings that should be packed up and mailed back to you. LVC will mail back, hopefully to arrive by July 30. We’ll do our best to be careful with your belongings, however, LVC will not be liable or responsible for omissions, damages, delays, lost packages, or other events during packing or shipping. You will be most assured of the accuracy and safety of your belongings by picking up and transporting them yourself.
- Mail your house key back to your LVC program manager (using trackable methods) by June 30 with your name and house included.
- NOTE: If you have oversized items (like bikes, televisions, etc.) that do not fit neatly into boxes, and/or require special size packaging or special handling, you’ll need to provide the packaging for those items, and should arrange for that packaging to arrive at your LVC house by June 30.
Get started now planning your exit, so you don’t find yourself at these deadlines unaware of special packaging, handling, or costs involved with shipping! Ask your program manager if you have questions.