Approximately 57 supporters signed up on LVC’s hike page, raising over $7,200! An additional amount reaching an estimated total of between $11,000-15,000 was raised outside of the hike page.
We had 11 people lead hikes in all program cities (DC, Baltimore, Wilmington, Minneapolis, Omaha), as well as other cities where alumni and supporters live (Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, Northern Virginia).
See photos from Hike-a-Thon 2022 HERE!
California, Los Angeles
- Sunday, May 22, 11:00am. Meet at the Bear Statue at Griffith Park at the corner of Los Feliz Blvd and Fern Dell Drive. Branden Grimmett will be your hike guide.
- Sunday, May 22, 2:00pm, raffle drawing at 3:00pm. Join LVC’s Wilmington local support network for their annual fundraiser for LVC’s leadership program dedicated to work for social justice in communities across the nation. Meet at the Dupont Environmental Education Center on the Riverfront, and continue to the post-hike social to follow at Constitution Yards. Led by Susan Mack.
District of Columbia/DC*
- Saturday, May 21, 11:30am. The DC hike will be at beautiful Rock Creek Park, with the hiking group meeting at Peirce Mill at 2401 Tilden Street NW, Washington DC, Parking Lot 1. We’ll follow the hike with a picnic at 1:00pm, where refreshments will be provided and you can also bring food to share. Led by Meghan Brown Saavedra.
- Saturday, May 21, 1:00pm. Due to a cold and rainy forecast for May 21 in Chicago, the Chicago Hike-a-thon group will be meeting at Hopewell Brewery at 1:00 p.m. Central, at 2760 N Milwaukee Ave. The bar has big bright open spaces and is dog friendly! Feel free to bring board games, they’ve got some there as well. We’ll enjoy each other’s company and hopefully hatch plans for a hike in the future! Check the event’s Facebook page for updates. Led by Juliana Glassco.
- Sunday, May 22, 4:00pm. This hike will be at Druid Hill Park, with hikers meeting at this parking lot and then going from there. Organized by the Baltimore Local Support Network and Kirsten Mathisen.
- Sunday, May 22 from 10:00am to 4:00pm. This hike through The Walking City of Boston will stroll through many sights worth seeing, starting at South End and passing through Trinity Church, Beacon Hill, Long Wharf. Led by Barry Friswold.
Minnesota, Twin Cities*
- #1–Saturday, May 21, 11:00am. A 1.75 mile loop, family hike is planned suitable for children at Wabun Park in Minneapolis. There’s a great little walk that’s starts at the bridge just down from Minnehaha Falls (not AT the falls) and then do a short loop down to the Mississippi River and back, and end at the playground at Wabun Park for just adult hangout and kid play time as people have interest and time. There’s free parking at the Wabun playground. Organized by LVC alum and board member, Katie Schroeder.
- #2–Saturday, May 21, 10:30am. At Lake Como in St. Paul, meet in front of the Lakeside Pavilion (1360 Lexington Pkwy N Saint Paul, MN 55103). This will be an informal gathering of LVC Supporters interested in walking together – or to go at their own pace. It is not an event sponsored by the lake/city; nor will there be any formal programing. We will meet then walk together with whoever would like. People are also welcome to go at their own pace, or break off from group’s path around the lake. Organized by Rachel Kennedy.
- Saturday, May 21, 9:00am. Meet at Fort Street parking lot at Standing Bear Lake Park. Led by Scott Glaser.
- #1–Saturday, May 21, 9:00am. Meet at Mason District Park in Annandale, VA, for a hike hosted by Peace Lutheran Church in Alexandria, VA. Meet LVC Volunteers and hear first hand about the LVC service year, while enjoying the great outdoors. Organized by Chris Solem.
- #2– Saturday, May 21, 9:00am. Saint Andrew Lutheran Church in Centreville, VA regularly hikes every third Saturday of the month, and is happy to host anyone who wants to join in for their LVC Hike-a-thon hike. Meet at Edward’s Landing Park 901 Powhatan Ct NE, Leesburg, VA 20176 for a hiking a loop of approximately 3 miles through Ball’s Bluff Battlefield Regional Park and back. Organized by Karen Montgomery.