We are excited that you are considering a year of intentional community, social justice, and simple and sustainable living with Lutheran Volunteer Corps!
Lutheran Volunteer Corps (LVC) is a faith-based, full-time service and leadership program operating in 13 cities across the United States. Our mission is to unite people to work for peace with justice. We do this by placing Volunteers in full-time positions at social justice organizations for one year. LVC is for people who want to explore their spirituality while working for social justice, living in intentional community with other volunteers, and practicing sustainability in all aspects of their lives.
There are many service programs out there and it's important to take time to figure out which is the right one for you. The Catholic Volunteer Network is a helpful resource to compare programs and LVC is proud to be named as a Service Program that Changes the World. You may also find links to all five ELCA-connected service year programs on the ELCA Young Adult Ministry webpage.
- Fill out an online application. Applications are due January 15th for our Round One deadline, or April 1st for Round Two. Those who apply early will have a greater selection; view sample application.
- Visit our Application Timeline page for details about the next steps in the application process. Potential volunteers will conduct a phone interview with LVC staff, as well as interviews with potential placements.
LVC is open to persons from all spiritual traditions. LVC does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, race, creed, age, culture, disability, economic class, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation.
In that doc, we particularly lift up income-driven repayment plans & the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLFP) for those with federal direct student loan debt. There are also deferment or forbearance options, in addition to standard repayment plans. If you have private loans, you’ll need to talk with your lender about repayment options. If you have a co-signer on any loan, it’s also important to discuss any loan repayment plans with them.
A year of service with LVC also provides you with valuable work experience to help you get a job after your year of service and/or makes you eligible for many generous graduate school scholarships.
Stay up to speed on student loan news here:
- Equal Justice Works: http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/ed-debt
- Student Loan Expert Heather Jarvis: http://askheatherjarvis.com/tools
For budgeting and handling other debt (credit card, home, car, etc.)
- Lutheran Social Service Financial Counseling: http://www.lssmn.org/debt
We are excited to hear from you and to accompany you on this journey!