LVC SOCIAL JUSTICE SERVICE POSITIONS
(please post on job boards)
Apply now to start a Lutheran Volunteer Corps service year in August in Washington DC, Baltimore, Wilmington DE, Omaha, or Twin Cities MN.
Our organization has been a Placement partner for LVC service year volunteers, and we recommend it to you.
Lutheran Volunteer Corps has been hosting service year volunteers for over 40 years, in cities across the United States. Corps members live together in LVC group housing, or serve virtually from their hometowns (virtual positions can be less than 12 months and are limited). Corps members have their basic financial needs covered by the program while they serve, including housing, utilities, healthcare, food, and transportation, along with a small stipend to supplement corps member funds for personal expenses. Joining corps members in the values of living simply and sustainably, exploring spirituality with their house communities, and working for social justice — everyone has their own reason for signing up for a service year program. A service year is dedicated to giving and learning:
- Giving to a mission of interest for the avocational calling you’re exploring
- Giving to community work, your time helping drive the mission forward
- Learning in a position with our Placement partners, building skills and employment experience
- Learning to use a social justice lens for civic arenas such as voting, healthcare, housing, transportation, etc. to distinguish your leadership skills and positioning
- Learning about living in community, and the challenges and benefits of caring collectively for self and others
People join LVC’s service program because of the launch into social justice; LVC’s inclusivity for LGBTQ+ and People of Color; gap year opportunities for new grads, retirees, people on sabbatical or in between jobs, etc.; and dedicated year immersed in a community-based position, community living, supplemented by monthly learning workshops.
Service year corps members must be at least 21 years old, be able to commit to the year program August through July, live in LVC housing in the city where placed, and commit to exploring LVC values.
Lutheran Volunteer Corps * 1226 Vermont Avenue NW, Washington DC 20005 * 202.387.3222 * lutheranvolunteercorps.org